Discover the Best Tourist Cities in Saudi Arabia
Explore the top tourist destinations in Saudi Arabia, from the historic city of Jeddah to the modern metropolis of Riyadh. Learn about the unique attractions and experiences each city has to offer
Saudi Arabia is a country rich in history, culture, and natural beauty, and there are many cities worth exploring. From the ancient ruins of Madain Saleh to the bustling streets of Jeddah, each city offers something unique for tourists to discover. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the best tourist cities in Saudi Arabia.
Jeddah – The Gateway to Mecca
Jeddah is a coastal city located on the Red Sea, and it is the largest city in the Makkah Province. It is also considered the gateway to Mecca, the holiest city in Islam, as it is the closest major city to the Islamic holy city. Jeddah is known for its vibrant culture, history, and modern attractions, making it a popular tourist destination in Saudi Arabia.
Attractions in Jeddah
- Al-Balad Historic District: Al-Balad is the historic center of Jeddah and is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city. It is home to several historic buildings, including the Ottoman-style mansions, traditional markets, and museums.
- Red Sea Mall: Red Sea Mall is one of the largest malls in Jeddah and is home to over 400 shops and restaurants. It is a popular destination for shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Jeddah Corniche: Jeddah Corniche is a picturesque seafront promenade that stretches for several kilometers along the Red Sea. It is a popular spot for strolls, picnics, and water sports.
- Al-Rahma Mosque: Al-Rahma Mosque is a historic mosque located in the Al-Balad Historic District of Jeddah. It is one of the oldest and largest mosques in the city and is known for its intricate architecture and decoration.
Riyadh – The Capital of Modernity
Riyadh is the capital of Saudi Arabia and is known for its modern architecture, vibrant culture, and diverse attractions. It is a city that has undergone significant development in recent years and has emerged as a hub for business, culture, and entertainment.
Attractions in Riyadh
- Masmak Fortress: Masmak Fortress is a historic fortress located in the center of Riyadh. It was the site of the 1902 siege that marked the beginning of the modern Saudi state. Today, the fortress is a museum and a popular tourist attraction.
- Kingdom Tower: Kingdom Tower is a skyscraper located in the heart of Riyadh and is one of the tallest buildings in the world. It offers panoramic views of the city from its observation deck and is a popular tourist destination.
- Al-Faisaliah Tower: Al-Faisaliah Tower is another iconic skyscraper located in Riyadh. It is known for its unique design and is home to several luxury shops, restaurants, and offices.
- Al-Murabba Palace: Al-Murabba Palace is a historic palace located in Riyadh that dates back to the 1930s. It is a significant example of traditional Arabian architecture and is open to the public as a museum.
Madain Saleh – The City of the Prophet Saleh
Madain Saleh is a historic city located in the Al-Ula Province of Saudi Arabia. It was once a major center of
commerce and religion, and it is considered one of the most important archaeological sites in the region. Madain Saleh is also known as the City of the Prophet Saleh, who is mentioned in Islamic tradition as one of the prophets of God.
Attractions in Madain Saleh
- Al-Hijr Archaeological Site: Al-Hijr is the main attraction in Madain Saleh and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is a well-preserved ancient city that dates back to the 1st century BC and is home to several tombs, temples, and residential buildings.
- Al-Khuraymat: Al-Khuraymat is an ancient settlement located near Madain Saleh that is believed to have been an important center of commerce. It is known for its well-preserved buildings and structures, including the remains of a large market.
- Al-Deir: Al-Deir is a large tomb located in Madain Saleh that is considered one of the most impressive structures in the city. It is carved out of a single rock and is adorned with intricate carvings and inscriptions.
- Al-Shuwaymat: Al-Shuwaymat is a large hill located near Madain Saleh that offers panoramic views of the surrounding desert landscape. It is a popular spot for hiking and picnicking.
Taif – The City of Roses
Taif is a city located in the Mecca Province of Saudi Arabia and is known for its pleasant climate, beautiful scenery, and rich history. It is also known as the City of Roses, as it is famous for its abundant rose gardens and is the largest producer of roses in the country.
Attractions in Taif
- Al-Shifa Park: Al-Shifa Park is a large park located in the heart of Taif that is known for its lush greenery and serene atmosphere. It is a popular spot for picnics, walks, and outdoor activities.
- Taif Rose Festival: The Taif Rose Festival is an annual event that takes place in the city and celebrates its famous roses. It features a variety of activities, including rose exhibitions, music concerts, and cultural performances.
- Al-Saha Mountain: Al-Saha Mountain is a popular tourist destination located in the surrounding hills of Taif. It offers breathtaking views of the city and the surrounding landscape and is a popular spot for hiking and sightseeing.
- King Fahd Garden: King Fahd Garden is a large park located in Taif that is known for its beautiful gardens, fountains, and walking paths. It is a popular spot for picnics and outdoor recreation.
These are just some of the best tourist cities in Saudi Arabia, each offering a unique mix of history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you’re interested in exploring ancient ruins, shopping in modern malls, or simply enjoying the beautiful scenery, there’s something for everyone in Saudi Arabia.